Hamps Barn - Peak District
Sleeps 20 guests
Special Offer: We are running 3 nights for the price of 2 for all weekends (Sunday night free)!
Please note that Hamps Barn can only be rented out with Hamps Hall (for a total of 40 guests) unless it's Christmas, New Years, or in case of last minute special offers.
Situated in the beautiful Peak District, close to Dovedale, Ashbourne and Alton Towers, the lovely Hamps Barn is ideally centrally positioned for visitors from all over the UK. (Waterfall is just north of the A523 equidistant from Ashbourne and Leek). Close by, the River Hamps runs into the Manifold Valley a wonderful eight miles plus of cycle paths and walks on an old disused railway track (the railway was short lived and locally known as the line that went from nowhere to nowhere!).
Hamps Barn is designed to provide a wonderful location for families and groups to escape for a relaxing break. Hamps Barn has two large reception rooms – ideal for large groups to enjoy. All fixtures and fittings are of the highest quality.
In summary, Hamps Barn accommodation is as follows:
- Nine bedrooms (2 double, 5 twins, 2 triples), 4 of the bedrooms are on the ground floor
- Seven bath/shower rooms
- Stunning large living room with exposed beams for up to 50 guests
- Huge dining room for up to 50 guests
- Bed linen (except for cot linen as we find mothers prefer bringing their own), towels, central heating, electricity and logs all included in the price
- Fitted granite kitchen
- Private Garden
- Child and dog friendly
- Free parking
- Great local country pub under 10 minutes walk away
- Hot tub! Hire one out for your stay from a third party supplier. Please note Party Houses charges £40 for on site fees.
Party or relax in our Great Barn Room
Hamps Barn has a stunning 50-foot long living room to fit up to 50 guests in. With exposed beams, chandeliers, oak floor and under floor heating, it truly is the perfect place for your large group get-together! It comes with comfortable sofas, a large flat-screen TV, music speaker (just bring your own AUX cable and music system), DVD player and plenty of books, to keep everyone entertained.
Getting together over a meal
Want to share a stunning meal with up to 60 of your guests? Then Hamps Barn is perfect! With a dining room over 40 feet long, it can cater all your group in a single room. Leading off the dining room is Hamps Barn lovely large kitchen; perfect to cook a scrummy meal! With granite work surfaces, 8 hobs, 2 full ovens, a Dualit toaster, and all the utensils you could possibly need, it’s great for the chefs in your group!
The tables are originally laid out for 48 guests, if you wish for up to 60 please let us know.
Of course, if you want to relax for a night then a popular option is to hire a chef for the evening. The chef and their team will cook, serve and wash up afterwards, so you don’t have to lift a finger, but only enjoy a stunning 4-course meal (bringing your own drink saves on restaurant prices also)!
Hamps Barn has 9 bedrooms consisting of 2 doubles, 5 twins, and 2 triples. Most of our bedrooms have views onto the courtyard and the Peak District countryside beyond, with each of our beds having luxury mattresses a lovely thick duvet so that all your guests can get good night’s sleep. On each bed, you will also find a hand and bath towel for each of your guests.
There are also 7 bath/shower rooms recently renovated and with lots of hot water.
For the less mobile, there are 4 ground floor bedrooms and 3 bath/shower rooms, including one fully accessible wet room.
To the back of Hamps Barn is a delightful private garden with plenty of outdoor seating, a BBQ and a pretty little woodland dell, perfect for summer BBQ’s, (and if that’s not enough we have 5 acres of fields for your use – although we leave the grass long in the summer to protect nesting wildlife). Of course, if you want to go a bit further, Hamps Barn leads onto many beautiful walks in the Peak District.
The is free Wifi provided at Hamps Barn.
We don't have one on site, but it is possible to rent one out from a third party supplier. Please note Party Houses charges £40 separately for any use of Hot Tubs on our site.
Hamps Barn has 4 twin bedrooms and 3 bathrooms on the ground floor (one of which is a fully accessible wet room). All other ground floor rooms are level access. Please note although normal wheelchairs can fit between the doors in the past we have found extra wide wheelchairs can't pass into the dining room. The width of the doorways is 60cm.
There is so much to do in the Peak District for your entire group, from Rock Climbing to exploring a Monkey Forest. Visit our Activities and Ideas page to see more.
Certificate of Excellence
For the fourth year running, we have won the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence. We own and run Hamps Barn so you can rest assured that our high standards are met. You can find all of these on our Trip Advisor page – we like to be transparent about feedback. Take a look at our 'Reviews. section.
Hamps Barn is a lovely large barn conversion. It has very large reception rooms and 4 ground floor bedrooms. There are also three ground floor bathrooms; all equipped with emergency help cords. One is a fully disability featured wet room with hand rails and a plastic shower stool is available (please let us know in advance). All downstairs rooms are accessible without steps.
- We can offer the use of a Deaf Guard system for guests who are hard of hearing and unlikely to hear the fire alarm system. This is placed under your pillow at night and will vibrate and lights flash should the fire alarms go off. Please let us know before arrival if you wish to borrow the Deaf Guard.
- A telescopic ramp can be provided - please book in advance. It is a 7 foot twin ramp, overall width 260mm (each), useable width (internal each) 200mm, load maximum 230 kgs with a 65mm edge. They are made of strong aluminium with a black non slip covering suitable for heavy wheelchairs and scooters.
- Hire of additional mobility equipment can be arranged through Moorland Mobility (who will also deliver and collect). Please call Malcolm on 01538 381515 (closed Sundays) or visit moorlandmobility.co.uk. Alternatively the local Red Cross also have some equipment for loan free of charge.
- In Leek there are accessible toilets (on RADAR key schemes) in Silk Street, Leek Bus Station and in the council offices at Moorlands House off Stockwell Street
- There is a Shop Mobility Scheme at The Potteries Shopping Centre in Hanley, Stoke on Trent and also in Macclesfield
- The nearest shops are in Leek (c 7 miles) or Ashbourne (c7 miles) but Tesco.com and peakdistrictfinefoods.co.uk (local farmers market on wheels) will both deliver.
- There is a local shop and post office in Waterhouses (c ½ mile) for basic provisions
- The nearest train station is Stoke on Trent (London Euston c 1hour 35 minutes)
- There are usually accessible taxis at the station
- Alternatively travel to Macclesfield Station and catch the bus from Macclesfield to Ashbourne which stops in Rushton Spencer (c 2 miles)
Arrival and Car Parking Facilities
- To ensure that your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not arrive before 3.30pm. earlier arrival may be possible by prior arrangement
- There is plenty of free parking outside the Barn on the flat gravel driveway
- The road to the property is narrow and can be bumpy but it is large enough for coaches and minibuses to use and turn around in front of the Hall (large vehicles enter via Waterfall village end - the road is narrower and steeper from Waterhouses)
- There is outside lighting as night which lights up on sensitivity of movement
Main Entrance and Reception
- There are several entrances to Hamps Barn
- All entrances can be parked immediately outside
- The main entrance (in the corner of Hamps Barn) is reached via a very gentle slope.
- There is a second door (89cm wide) which has a small step(at the base of the main staircase) and can also be parked closely outside
- The third entrance door gives access to the main living room (door width 74cm) and also just has a storm lip (c 2cm) and no steps
- The entrance hall floor is of oak flooring with fitted door mats
- There is a door to the rear garden with weatherboard lip of c 2cm, beyond this door is a gravel patio.
- There are no lifts
- There are no public phones, but mobile reception is available on all networks (although sometimes you have to move around the property to optimise reception)
- Lighting varies by room. Most rooms have central pendants. The kitchen is lit by spotlights.
- All exit routes, including staircases and hallways, have emergency lighting which is either will come on in the event of a power failure
- The two staircases are both carpeted and have handrails. The main staircase is 88cm width with a 74cm doorway at the bottom of the stairs. The secondary staircase (to two double bedrooms, on the first floor only) has turns and is 78cm wide
- There is a 74cm diagonal corridor from the kitchen to the living room, via the snug, with a gentle slope
- Both hallways are painted white
- A baby bath and child steps to reach sinks are provided
- There are two (non ensuite) bathrooms on the ground floor with toilets. One opens onto the corridor by the two ground floor twin bedroom and the other onto the living room
- Both have panic cords fitted without alarms showing outside of the bathroom
The dining room has three doors into it – via the hallway lobby at the rear of the kitchen (width 60cm) this has a small ramp up to it, the rear garden (door width 80cm) and through to the Games Room/Lobby in Hamps Hall (width 70cm) with two steps up (height 18 and 19cm respectively, with a step width of 33 cm) . This door is locked if the properties are rented separately.
- The floor is oak.
- There are 5 dark oak dining tables seating 8 guests each, 2 more tables can be provided as-well upon request. They are 100 x 190cm.
- Chairs (all moveable) there are 40 chairs with leather seats and no arms. The chairs are 48cm high
- This is accessed via the snug (door 82cm wide) and an outside door (94cm wide) to the gravel courtyard
- Flooring is of oak and rugs.
- Leather sofas and easy chairs are provided as well as stools and poufs . All are leather and vary in seat height.
- Teletext TV is provided with remote control as well as DVD player and Freeview
- There is a doorway to a twin bedroom and disabled featured wet room at the far end of the living room
- This is accessed via the main living room (door 82cm wide), kitchen (door width 74cm) and an outside door (94cm). There is also a door to the downstairs twin room (91cm wide)
- The Snug has an oak floor with fitted matting by the outside and kitchen doors. Three is a gentle slope up to the kitchen
- A sofa is provided
- A domestic washer/dryer is provided in the kitchen
- They are both front loading
- An iron and ironing board is provided
- There are nine bedrooms at Hamps Barn
- Ground Floor - 4 twin bedrooms
- First Floor from Main Staircase - 1 twin, 2 triples (with 3 single beds)
- First Floor (via second staircase) - 2 doubles with ensuite shower/bathrooms
- All first floor bedrooms are carpeted (with radiators), all ground floor bedrooms have oak flooring and rugs (with underfloor heating)
- Non feather duvets and pillows are provided in each room
- Extra blankets and pillows are available
- There is a wardrobe, drawers and mirrors in every bedroom
- White bed linen and towels are provided free of charge
- All mattresses are luxury handmade mattresses
- Twin (adjacent to wet room) – door width 79cm. Two 90cm single beds with a height from the floor to top of mattress of 60cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 92cm.
- Corner Twin (off Snug Hallway) – door width 80cm. Two 90cm single beds, with a height from the floor to top of mattress of 60cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 1m 45cm. This bedroom has an ensuite shower room
- End Twin off rear Hallway – door width 81cm. The two 90cm single beds have a height from floor to top of mattress at 60cm. Largest transfer space to side of bed is 75cm.
- Middle Twin off rear Hallway – door width is 72cm. There are two 90cm single bed; height to top of mattress is 60cm. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 1m
- The fire brigade suggest that anyone with a hearing or visual impairment doesn’t sleep in higher bedrooms to ensure speed of escape if necessary.
- From Main Staircase: (NB there are some beams on this hallway which may require some guests to duck)
- Family Room – 72cm door width. There are three 90cm single beds, with a height to top of mattress of 60cm. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 60cm. There is a feature (non working) fireplace in this room and a door to the outside (via outside stone steps)
- Twin - door width 70cm. Two 90cm single beds; height from floor to top of mattress 60cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 80cm.
- Family Room - door width 70cm. Three 90cm single beds; height from floor to top of mattress is 60cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 60cm. There is an ensuite bathroom off this bedroom
From Secondary Staircase:
- Smaller Double - door width 70cm. One double bed, height from the floor to the top of mattress is 60cm. The largest transfer space to the side of bed is 80cm. There is a small ensuite shower room
- Double - door width 72 cm. One double bed; the height to the top of mattress is 60cm. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 1m40cm. There is an ensuite bathroom off this bedroom
- There are three bathrooms on the ground floor and four bathrooms on the second floor
- All bathrooms have floors that are tiled. There is good colour contrast between walls, and floor.
Ground Floor Bathrooms
- Wet room - off far end of living room. Door width 80cm. Small basin 75cm high with easy use taps, wet room shower with no shower tray. The toilet has easy flush fittings and is 48cm high to the seat (with no seat cover). There are three grab rails and an emergency help cord pull.
- The ensuite shower room to the twin bedroom off the Snug Hallway has a shower cubicle (with a step up to the shower tray of 18cm), a toilet (43cm high to seat) and basin (height 80cm). The door width is 80cm. There is an emergency help pull cord.
- The third bathroom on the ground floor is shared by two twin bedrooms. It has a door width of 73cm. It has a bath with shower over it 59 cm high, a toilet 42cm to the seat and a basin 87cm high. There is good colour contrast between fittings and tiled floor. There is an emergency help pull cord.
First Floor Bathrooms
- The first floor ensuite shower room to the smaller double has a door width of 60cm, a shower with shower tray 34cm high, a toilet 42cm to the seat and a small basin 84cm high. It has a feature stone wall with the original house tie and a blue tiled floor
- The second bathroom is ensuite to the larger double bedroom. This bathroom has a bath with shower over it (56cm high) with a basin 80cm high and toilet and tiled flooring. There is good colour contrast between walls, fittings and floor. Door width 70cm.
- The ensuite bathroom off the triple bedroom has a basin (85cm high), toilet (42cm) and bath with shower over (56cm high). The floor is tiled and there is good colour contrast between fittings and floor. Door width 74cm
- The 7th bathroom is accessed via the first floor hallway and has a bath with shower over (56cm high), a basin 86cm high and toilet 43cm high to the seat.
- The kitchen has three entrances; from the snug room (door 74cm wide), and main staircase (door 74cm wide), and to the rear hallway with the door to the dining room (80cm wide) just off the kitchen in this hallway.
- The floor is tiled. There is a good colour contrast between walls, cupboards and other surfaces
- The fitted units have solid oak doors and granite work surfaces (worktop height is 92cm)
- The kitchen has 2 double ovens and 2 four ring electric hobs
- There is plenty of china, cutlery and glassware for all guests
- A large American fridge/freezer is provided which can be used to store medication (highest shelf in fridge is 1m45cm and the lowest drawer is 40cm). A second fridge is also provided
- The kitchen contains a washer/dryer, range oven and 5 ring electric hob, and microwave
- There is no shop available on site
- A Post Office and also a local stores is in Waterhouses c ½ mile away
- The nearest bigger shopping centre is Leek (c 7 miles) or Ashbourne (c 7 miles), with four supermarkets, Boots, WH Smith and most other requirements catered for.
- There is a limited mobility scheme – see Pre Arrival section
- There are table football and air hockey tables in a screened off area at one end of the very large dining room
- The garden has a large gravel patio. There is a door from the property into the garden, which does not involve steps
- The garden is mature, with flowers and lawn, and large mature trees
- All guests are welcome to use the garden
- Chairs and tables and BBQ are available
- The house has fire alarms throughout
- There emergency lighting on all exit routes and stairwells
- There are fire extinguishers on all landing and in kitchens
- There is strictly a no smoking, no fireworks and no candle policy. You may smoke in the garden. Three are sand pots provided for used cigarette ends
- There are comprehensive information folders provided in the property
- Mobile phone reception is ok
- Please note that the layout may be subject to change
- Wine Tasting
- Cocktail Making
- Murder Mystery
- Spa treatment
- Hot Tub Hire
- Gin & Whisky Tasting
- Laser clay shooting
- Wine Tasting
- 4 x 4 Driving
- Quad Biking
- Clay Pigeon Shooting
- Fishing - Fly
- Golf Courses
- Horse Riding
- Pony Trekking
- Tennis Court
- Murder Mystery
- Cocktail Making
- Assault Course
- Climbing Wall
- Mountain Biking
- Paint Balling
- Rock Climbing
- Beer Making
- Horse Races
Hamps Barn for 20 guestsWaterhouses, Staffordshire, ST10 3JG
Closest Train Station :
For the West Coast Mainline, Stoke on Trent station 16 miles; For the East Coast Mainline, Derby station 21 miles
Closest Airport :
Manchester Airport 35 miles, East Midlands Airport 41 miles, Birmingham 62 miles
Nearby Town :
Ashbourne and Leek are both c 7 miles.
Nearby Shop :
There is a local late shop in Waterhouse c 1 mile. There are many shops and supermarkets in Leek and Ashbourne both c 7 miles
Nearby Eatery :
The nearest pub is The Red Lion Inn at Waterfall just a short level walk from Hamps Barn
Booking fee: £45 (non-refundable)
Booking process: 25% booking deposit & 75% balance taken 10 weeks before the arrival date
Security deposit: £500 (taken in a form of a preauthorisation)
Check-in and check-out times: 4pm - 10am
- Pets: £30 per pet
- Day guest: £15 per person
- Hot Tub hire: £40 (covers the costs of water and electricity; to hire a hot tub we recommend midlandhottubhire.co.uk)
- Early check-in or late check-out: £150
A brief history of Hamps Hall and Barn in the Peak District
Hamps Hall was originally known as Field House and we believe was built sometime late in the 17th century. There are certainly records of it in 1733. By this time many of the fields nearby had been enclosed. The first record of Field House being sold was in 1736. In those days there was a lovely custom that the buyer and seller met on the land to be sold and the seller cut a clod of grass and handed it to the buyer in front of their friends as witnesses. So they achieved ‘quiet and reasonable possession’.
The property was sold on several times and over the years the acreage attached to the house grew larger as farmers bought additional parcels of land. These included Lumber Low, the beautiful little hill above Hamps Hall which is the view from the Hall living room French doors. At Lumber Low stone flints and spearheads were found in an ancient burial ground (complete with skeleton)!
Historically, Waterfall has always relied on agriculture for the main jobs and income. Hamps Hall is no exception. At its height as a farm, it had 80 acres attached. However, records show that various employment was also carried on by its inhabitants. These included a vicar and a horse dealer.
Over the years many characters have lived here. One of them also kept the lovely local pub – The Red Lion at Waterfall, where Party Houses guests still receive a very warm welcome, just a short walk from Hamps Hall & Barn. When Joseph was the landlord, it was during the time that the Manifold Light Railway was being built and he often had to maintain order with the Irish builders who were building the railway track at the bottom of the valley.
There is also evidence of a lime kiln on the land here. Burning lime was very important and the resulting lime products were used for building and for spreading on fields to help maintain their productivity.
Sadly much of the original Field House burned down in 1900 and had to be rebuilt. In 2006 we bought it from Mr and Mrs Carr whose family home it had been for many decades. We knocked down some extremely large farm buildings and sheds – leaving the original beautiful stone buildings. The stone cattle sheds were converted to Hamps Barn and the house was given a complete renovation to make it the lovely Hamps Hall that exists today.
Toft Hall for 20 guests
- Near Macclesfield
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Sleeps: 20 Bedrooms: 10 Dining: 20
Hamps Hall for 20 guests
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Sleeps: 20 Bedrooms: 9 Dining: 20
Bradshaw Hall for 22 - 30 guests
- West Yorkshire
- Sleeps: 22 - 30 Bedrooms: 9 Dining: 30
Charnwood Forest South Wing for 21 - 23
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Sleeps: 21 - 23 Bedrooms: 8 Dining: 24
Hollow Meadows Hall for 20 guests
- Hollow Meadows
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Sleeps: 20 Bedrooms: 10 Dining: 20