Chels Barn - Peak District
Sleeps 12 (+14 with Toft Barn and Toft Nook)
Special Offer: We are running 3 nights for the price of 2 for all weekends (Sunday night free)!
It's possible to add further guests with Chels Barn by also renting out other venues in the same courtyard.
14 Guests: With the hiring of Toft Nook
24 Guests: With the hiring of Toft Barn
Situated in the courtyard with Toft Hall and Toft Barn, Chels Barn is another lovely quality barn conversion. It is full of character with lots of beams on display and dramatic high ceilings in the main rooms. It is centrally heated with under floor heating on the ground floor. All the internal doors are solid oak and it has a variety of luxury flooring such as marble, travertine or solid oak. The views to the rear of the barn are fabulous – looking over the distinctive Peak District. This Peak District cottage can host 12 guests, but if you would like to invite further it can host up to 26 with the hiring of Toft Nook and Toft Barn, both within a few seconds walk of Chels Barn.
In brief, this Peak District holiday cottage provides:
- 6 bedrooms (2 triple, 2 doubles, 2 singles,), 3 of the bedrooms are on the ground floor
- 4 shower/bathrooms
- Large well lit living room
- Large dining room
- Modern fitted kitchen
- Private Garden
- Bed linen (except for cot linen as we find mothers prefer bringing their own), towels, central heating, electricity and logs all included in the price
- 3 Great country pubs under 10 minutes drive
- Hot Tub from a third party supplier (see more below)
The lovely, large living room has solid oak floors, lots of squashy leather settees and wonderful high barn roof, with a very large chandelier! In the morning the sun pours through the old ‘owl hole’ window, which has antique stained glass which means lovely colours dance around the room in the early morning sun.
If you are also hiring one of the other properties at Toft, there is plenty of room in here to entertain your guests from elsewhere in the courtyard. There is a large wall-mounted TV, music system (just bring your aux cable and music player), and DVD player to enjoy.
Eating in style
The Dining Room also has the fabulous high ceiling with a travertine stone floor (this is lovely with the underfloor heating!) and plenty of seating so you can all dine together (easily for up to 20 + guests). Again, the original beams are on display. There are a couple of steps up towards the living room.
The modern Kitchen has distinctive red Italian units. These are topped off with granite work surfaces. There are plenty of glasses, crockery, cutlery etc. It also contains 4 hobs, a griddle grill, 2 Neff ovens, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. There are some short steps up into the dining room.
A good nights sleep
Every bed in Chels Barn has a warm duvet and a luxury mattress; we know how much our guests appreciate this! This Peak District cottage has 6 bedrooms 2 doubles, 2 singles and 2 triples. The bedrooms are all designed in keeping with the barn. Many have unusual features including owl hole windows, dovecot holes and arched barn door windows.
There are 4 bath/shower rooms, all with modern fixtures and plenty of warm water (please note one of the bathrooms has a low lying ceiling above the toilet)!
Enjoy the Good Weather
Behind Chels Barn there is plenty of outdoor seating and a BBQ, and in summer months you’ll find beautiful roses lining the fence separating it from over an acre of the field for you to enjoy also (although we keep the grass long in summer to allow the numerous hares and other wildlife to safely nest). The amazing views across to the hills of the Peak District and the expanse of the Cheshire Plain make relaxing here a delight for each guest!
If you and your guests are interested in exploring around and about, from Chels Barn footpaths lead out onto miles and miles of public footpaths around the stunning Peak District.
There is free WiFi at Chels Barn, although due to our location we are at the mercy of our suppliers for speed!
Enjoy the beautiful scenery from your own hot tub in your private garden! This Peak District holiday cottage doesn't have a hot tub on-site, but it is possible to rent one from a third party supplier. Please note we do charge an extra £40 for any hot tubs on site.
Activities at Chels Barn
There is so much to do at and around this Peak District celebration cottage for everyone. Interested in some adrenalin, then try paintballing, or if you want to relax, then head to the lovely Chatsworth House. For a full list check out our 'Experiences' section.
Certificate of Excellence
We have won the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for 4 years in a row. We own and manager Chels Barn so you can be assured that our high standards will be met each time. We want to be transparent about our reviews so click on the 'Reviews' section to see the reviews we have received at our venues.
Chels Barn is a lovely barn conversion. It has a large reception room, a dining room to seat 20 and kitchen and 3 ground floor bedrooms and 2 ground floor wet rooms. Upstairs there are
a further 3 bedrooms and 2 bath/shower rooms. There are several steps down on the ground floor between the living room and dining room and again between the dining room and
kitchen, therefore not making this an ideal choice of Party House if you or your guests have limited mobility - Toft Barn may be a better choice...
· Lots of information is held on partyhouses.co.uk.
· Bookings can be made by calling 01273 271332
· We can offer the use of a Deaf Guard system for guests who are hard of hearing and unlikely to hear the fire alarm system. This is placed under your pillow at might and will
vibrate and lights flash should the fire alarms go off. Please let us know before arrival if you wish to borrow the Deaf Guard (free of charge).
· A telescopic ramp can be provided - please book in advance. It is a 7 foot twin ramp, overall width 260mm (each), useable width (internal each) 200mm, load maximum 230 kgs with a
65mm edge. They are made of strong aluminium with a black non slip covering suitable for heavy wheelchairs and scooters. It is your responsibility to ensure that the ramp is suitable for
your purposes before use. (Free of charge)
· We can also provide a plastic bathing stool for use in the wet room shower. Again, please let us know before arrival. (Free of charge).
· Hire of additional mobility equipment can be arranged through Moorland Mobility (who will also deliver and collect). Please call Malcolm on 01538 381515 (closed Sundays) or visit
moorlandmobility.co.uk. Alternatively the local Red Cross also have some equipment for loan free of charge.
· In Leek there are accessible toilets (on RADAR key schemes) in Silk Street, Leek Bus Station and in the council offices at Moorlands House off Stockwell Street
· There is a Shop Mobility Scheme at The Potteries Shopping Centre in Hanley, Stoke on Trent and also in Macclesfield
· The nearest shops are in Leek (c 7 miles) but Tesco.com and peakdistrictfinefoods.co.uk (local farmers market on wheels) will both deliver
· The nearest train station is Stoke on Trent (London Euston c 1hour 35 minutes)
· There are usually accessible taxis at the station
· Alternatively travel to Macclesfield Station and catch the bus from Macclesfield to Ashbourne which stops in Rushton (c 2 miles)
Arrival and Car Parking Facilities
· To ensure that your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not arrive before 3.30pm. Earlier arrival my be possible by prior arrangement
· There is plenty of free parking outside Toft Barn on the gravel driveway which slopes gently
· Cars can be parked immediately outside the door into the iving room, with plenty of room for access to the vehicle
· There is outside lighting as night which lights up on sensitivity of movement
· There is flat access to Chels Barn via a door with no steps. A car can drive right up to this door. Main Entrance and Reception
· There are several entrances to Chels Barn.
· There are no lifts
· There are no public phones, but mobile reception is available on all networks (although sometimes you have to move around the property to optimise reception)
· Lighting varies by room. Most rooms have central pendants. The kitchen is lit by spotlights.
· All exit routes, including staircases and hallways, have emergency lighting which will come on in the event of a power failure
· The staircase is carpeted and has a handrail.
· There is one ground floor toilet.
· Both hallways are painted white
· The dining room has two doors into it – via the hallway and the kitchen
· The floor is travertine stone. The height of the under space of the dining table is 62cm from the floor and the table is 72cm high.
· Chairs (all moveable) the chairs have padded seats and no arms. The chairs are
approximately 47cm high
· This is accessed via the hallway; or directly from outside (two doors with weather lips only
· Outside the living room is a gravel pathway and field.
· Flooring is of solid oak and rugs.
· Sofas and easy chairs are provided seating up to 20 guests
· A flat screen TV is provided with remote control as well as DVD player
· A Hifi and CD player are provided
· A domestic washing machine and also a tumble dryer is provided in the kitchen. It is front loading
· An iron and ironing board are provided
· There are six bedrooms at Chels Barn
· Ground Floor – 2 x single with ensuite wet room, one triple bedroom (with three single beds)
· First Floor – 2 doubles, 1 twin, with 2 ensuite bath or shower rooms
· All upstairs bedrooms are carpeted, the ground floor bedrooms have a solid oak floor with rug
· Non feather duvets and pillows are provided in each room
· Extra blankets and pillows are available
· There is a hanging space or wardrobe, chests of drawers and mirrors in every bedroom · White bed linen and towels are provided free of charge
· There are 2 wet room bathroom on the ground floor and 2 bath/shower rooms on the first floor
· Further descriptions of the bathrooms can be found in the bedroom section above Kitchen
· The kitchen has three entrance doors, from the dining room and from the outside and into a small hallway. There are steps up to the outside and to the dining room
· The floor is marble tiles. There is a good colour contrast between floors, and other surfaces
· The fitted units have black granite work surfaces (worktop height is 89cm)
· There is plenty of china, cutlery and glassware for all guests
· A fridge and freezer are provided which can be used to store medication
· The kitchen contains a washer/dryer, a single and double oven and hob, and a microwave and 6 slot Dualitt toaster. There is an electric kettle.
· There is no shop available on site
· The nearest shopping centre is Leek, with four supermarkets, Boots, WH Smith and most other requirements catered for.
· There is a limited mobility scheme – see Pre Arrival section
· There is a large gravel patio outside which can be accessed without using steps (via living room)
· There is an acre of field
· BBQ, seating and tables are available
· The house has fire alarms throughout
· There emergency lights on all exit routes and stairwells
· There are fire extinguishers
· There is strictly a no smoking, no fireworks, no night lanterns and no candle policy. You may smoke in the garden. Three are sand pots provided for used cigarette ends
· There are comprehensive information folders provided in the property
· Mobile phone reception is ok
· Please note that the layout may be subject to change and dimensions are approximate
- Wine Tasting
- Cocktail Making
- Murder Mystery
- Gin & Whisky Tasting
- Laser clay shooting
- Wine Tasting
- 4 x 4 Driving
- Quad Biking
- Clay Pigeon Shooting
- Fishing - Fly
- Golf Courses
- Horse Riding
- Pony Trekking
- Tennis Court
- Murder Mystery
- Cocktail Making
- Assault Course
- Climbing Wall
- Mountain Biking
- Paint Balling
- Rock Climbing
- Beer Making
- Horse Races
Chels Barn for 12 guestsNear Macclesfield, Staffordshire,
Closest Train Station :
Macclesfield station is 12 miles, Stoke on Trent station is 13 miles (for West Coast Mainline London to Scotland via Manchester)
Closest Airport :
Manchester Airport 24 miles, East Midlands Airport 52 miles, Birmingham Airport is 70 miles
Nearby Town :
Leek 5 miles, Stoke on Trent 12 miles
Nearby Shop :
Leek 5 miles. This is a market town with supermarkets including Sainsburys, Waitrose, Morrissons, Aldi
Nearby Eatery :
There are some wonderful local pubs including The Lazy Trout at Meerbrook; The Ship Inn at Wincle; and The Royal Oak at Rushton Spencer. All are c 2 miles. Leek for more restaurants and pubs 5 miles
Booking fee: £45 (non-refundable)
Booking process: 25% booking deposit & 75% balance taken 10 weeks before the arrival date
Security deposit: £300 (taken in a form of a pre-authorisation)
Check-in and check-out times: 4pm - 10am
- Pets: £30 per pet
- Day guest: £15 per person
- Hot Tub hire: £40 (covers the costs of water and electricity; to hire a hot tub we recommend midlandhottubhire.co.uk)
- Early check-in or late check-out: £100
A brief History of Toft Hall in the Peak District
Chels Barn sits within the courtyard of Toft Hall. The barn was built approximately in the mid Victorian era (maybe around 1860??? – no one is exactly sure!).
By 1741 the High Sheriff of Staffordshire (the King’s representative in the County), William Armett, was living here. According to A History of the County of Stafford volume 7 “he improved the house and laid out a walled garden. Known at Toft Hall by 1775, the house was remodelled and extended to the south in the mid 19th century”. Actually we believe the southern extension was there earlier than this! We found a coin dated 1794 hidden behind the plaster – very likely placed here by the builders as a good luck charm. Sadly a previous owner had an accident in Chels Barn with a shot gun here, but he did survive!
Chels Barn was occupied by cattle and sheep until the 1980s. It then fell into disrepair. However, the gorgeous stone always shone a beautiful golden colour in the sunshine! Inside the barn there were a number of divisions for separating the animals. There was also a hay loft above where the hay and straw would have been stored for winter fodder.
In 2005 Party Houses were given permission to turn Chels Barn into the lovely house that is here today (as a listed building it was a great way of saving the heritage of this barn). The specialist heritage architect made sure that the existing window and door openings were carefully preserved. The one roof light is a conservation roof light and as much of the existing stone and roofing material was re used. We hope that you enjoy staying here and being part of a long history!
Merrymeet for 16 guests
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Sleeps: 15 - 16 Bedrooms: 7 Dining: 16
Toft Barn for 12 guests
- Near Macclesfield
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Sleeps: 12 Bedrooms: 6 Dining: 12
Forest Lodge for 16 guests
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Sleeps: 16 Bedrooms: 8 Dining: 10
Canary Yacht for 10 guests
- South East
- Sleeps: 10 Bedrooms: 5 Dining: 10