Merrymeet for 16 guests
- Midlands and the Peak District
- Large House
- Self Catering
- Sleeps 16
- Bedrooms 7
- Beds 14
- Dining For 16
Special Offer: We are running 3 nights for the price of 2 for all weekends in 2017 (Sunday night free)!
Merrymeet, situated in the beautiful Peak District, is a charming self catering holiday cottage to sleep up to 16 guests in 7 bedrooms (2 double, 1 quad, and 4 twins) with 5 bath/shower rooms. The fabulous large living room has plenty of space for all your guests to relax, plus there is a large dining room and also a games room with table tennis and table football (for the more energetic!). It has a pretty garden and terrace with outside seating, barbecue and a further 3 acres of fields and fabulous views up the little valley. For those who prefer not to sleep upstairs, Merrymeet has 4 downstairs bedrooms and 3 downstairs bath/shower rooms.
- 7 bedrooms (2 doubles, 4 twin rooms, 1 quad)
- 5 modern bath/shower rooms
- Lovely spacious living room
- Dining room with table to seat all your guests together
- Granite fitted kitchen
- Large Games room including table tennis and table football
- Exclusive use of patio garden with outside seating and BBQ
- Inclusive prices – linens, towels, logs, heating, electricity all included
- Fantastic country pub under 10 minutes walk away
Merrymeet is built of traditional stone and has every facility for one large group. Merrymeet is centrally heated and all electricity, heating, bed linen and towels are included within the price of your holiday. There are a couple of stables (just seen in the back right of the photo) so you have somewhere to store your bikes or other outdoor gear.
Merrymeet is situated in Back O’th Brook, a delightful hamlet of only a few houses. This makes it particularly suitable for groups who wish to enjoy the quiet and beauty of such a location. The little lane goes nowhere except to a couple of farms. This is in the beautiful southern Peak District National Park, with both Ashbourne and Leek about 8 miles away. As the name suggests, Back O’th Brook is centred around the (very) little brook that runs next to Merrymeet and flows down the valley to join the River Manifold half a mile away, before flowing into the River Dove. The small lane outside Merrymeet crosses the shallow brook on a newly updated cobbled ford, complete with stepping stones for walkers (and children love these!). As this is a very quiet area this makes Merrymeet an ideal holiday home for families.
Back O’th Brook has wonderful walks straight down into the Manifold Valley and to Dovedale beyond, or alternatively, a footpath also leads straight from Merrymeet up towards Grindon. For those seeking thrills, Alton Towers is only 6 – 7 miles and there are lots of more strenuous activities in the vicinity. A great traditional local pub, The Red Lion Inn, is just half a mile walk and very popular with guests. All the joys of the Peak District are close by!
The large living room is furnished with big squashy leather sofas and a warming wood-burning stove (free logs provided!). Merrymeet is centrally heated too. There is plenty to entertain all ages; a TV with Freeview channels, CD and Radio, oddles of books and games, speaker (just bring your own aux cable and music player) and a DVD player. There are three doors onto the patio plus windows to the front of Merrymeet, making this a wonderfully light room.
Dining Room and kitchen
We know how important it is to get everyone together over a lovely dinner or even a hearty cooked breakfast! That’s why at Merrymeet the dining room can fit all 16 of your guests around a single large table. Just leading off the Dining Room you will find the Kitchen, with granite work-surfaces, 4 hobs, 2 ovens, Dualit toaster, a fridge/freezer, and cupboards full to the brim with equipment and it’s the perfect place for foodies to cook up a delight!
A popular option with our guests is to invite in a Chef, who creates a lovely 4 course meal, as well as waitresses serving and washing up, allowing you and your guests to spend the evening relaxing and enjoying the private dining experience.
Bedrooms and Bathroom
Each and every bed at Merrymeet has handmade mattresses, wonderful thick duvets and pillows so everyone can get a perfect night’s sleep.
Merrymeet has 7 bedrooms made up of 2 doubles, 4 twins, and 1 quad. For those not wanting to take stairs, there are 4 ground floor bedrooms and 3 bath/shower rooms, whilst on the first floor there are 3 bedrooms and two bath/shower rooms with lots of hot water!
Table tennis and table football
For those rainy days (and even those sunny days!), Merrymeet has a large Games Room equipped with a table football and table tennis table to get the heart racing.
Alternatively why not enjoy the great outdoors? With a beautiful garden looking out onto the valley of Back O’th the Brook you’ll find tables and chairs, as well as a BBQ for those summer months! There are plenty of birds to view; Barn Owls regularly fly down our little valley. There are a further 3 acres of fields, but these are too sloping for a standard game of football!
There is Wifi at Merrymeet but we are at the mercy of our providers for speed due to our country location.
Situated in the stunning Peak District there are lots of local activities for everyone in your group. Why not trying cycling through the Manifold valley, or enjoy a relaxing spa treatment in Merrymeet? Take a look at our 'Activites and Ideas' section for a full range of things to do!
Trip Advisor Guest Book
For the second year running we have won the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence. We own and run all our properties so you can be rest assured that our high standards are met in each property! Below you can find some snippets from Trip Advisor reviews left by our guests (you can find all of these on our Trip Advisor page – we like to be transparent about feedback!).
'Just returned from a long weekends stay at Merrymeet for my mums surprise 70th Birthday. Had an amazing time, and could not fault a thing, the house is beautiful and is situated in a stunning area of beauty. Lovely walks from the door, and being able to take the dogs was a bonus. The house is huge and caters for everyone. We had David from the Dinner Party Company to cook our meal on my mums actual birthday and that was also amazing and the food was delicious, everyone who came have all said the same, a beautiful house in a beautiful area and enjoyed by all, Shane we had to go home' lizmorton1, 9.11.2016
'There were ten of us staying in this beautiful house, will sleep up to 16 bit with ten many had there own room. We did activities on Saturday organised by Dandelion Events. The Dinner Party Company cooked a four course meal for us all on Saturday evening which was superb. Also just a mention for the Red Lion at Waterfall who provided us with a wonderful lunch after our activities.' 14.09.2016
‘We booked Merrymeet as the centre-point for a stag weekend and it lived-up to its name. It was a great place to relax with friends and proved to be a perfect retreat when the weather tried to put a damper on things. The lounge area is easily the property's best feature and was the room of choice both nights. It accommodated all of us easily and had plenty of room to spare whether chatting, drinking or engaging in adolescent games.’ Pricedin, 2.6.2016
- Internet Connection
- Wi-Fi Connection
- Disabled Facilities
- Games Room
- Open Fire/Woodburner
- Outside space for exclusive use
Find below a list of activities and ideas that you can bring either to your Party House or do in the local area, for more detailed information on each visit our Activities and Ideas page.
- Clay Pigeon Shooting
- Cocktail Making
- Murder Mystery
- Wine Tasting
- 4 x 4 Driving
- Beer Making
- Clay Pigeon Shooting
- Climbing Wall
- Cocktail Making
- Fishing - Fly
- Golf Courses
- Horse Riding
- Mountain Biking
- Murder Mystery
- Paint Balling
- Quad Biking
- Rock Climbing
Access Statement for Merrymeet
Merrymeet is a lovely barn conversion. It has large reception rooms and 4 ground floor bedrooms and 3 ground floor bathrooms (including a wet room). Upstairs there are a further 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms. There are 2 steps down into the living room.
- We can offer the use of a Deaf Guard system for guests who are hard of hearing and unlikely to hear the fire alarm system. This is placed under your pillow at might and will vibrate and lights flash should the fire alarms go off. Please let us know before arrival if you wish to borrow the Deaf Guard (free of charge).
- A telescopic ramp can be provided – please book in advance. It is a 7 foot twin ramp, overall width 260mm (each), use-able width (internal each) 200mm, load maximum 230 kgs with a 65mm edge. They are made of strong aluminium with a black non slip covering suitable for heavy wheelchairs and scooters. It is your responsibility to ensure that the ramp is suitable for your purposes before use. (Free of charge)
- We can also provide a plastic bathing stool for use in the wet room shower. Again, please let us know before arrival. (Free of charge).
- Hire of additional mobility equipment can be arranged through Moorland Mobility (who will also deliver and collect). Please call Malcolm on 01538 381515 (closed Sundays) or visit moorlandmobility. Alternatively the local Red Cross also have some equipment for loan free of charge.
- In Leek there are accessible toilets (on RADAR key schemes) in Silk Street, Leek Bus Station and in the council offices at Moorlands House off Stockwell Street
- There is a Shop Mobility Scheme at The Potteries Shopping Centre in Hanley, Stoke on Trent and also in Macclesfield
- The nearest shops are in Leek (c 7 miles) but Tesco.com and other supermarkets will deliver
- The nearest train station is Stoke on Trent (London Euston 1 hour 35 minutes)
- There are usually accessible taxis at the station
- Alternatively travel to Macclesfield Station and catch the bus from Macclesfield to Ashbourne which stops in Waterhouses (c 2 miles)
- Arrival and Car Parking Facilities
- To ensure that your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not arrive before 4pm. earlier arrival may be possible by prior arrangement
- There is plenty of free parking outside Merrymeet on the stone and tarmac driveway which slopes gently
- Cars can be parked immediately outside the second front door, with plenty of room for access to the vehicle
- There is outside lighting as night which lights up on sensitivity of movement
- There is access to Merrymeet via a door in the living room with no steps. (just the weather lip). A car can drive through the wooden gates right up to this door.
- The second front door has two steps (18cm & 24cm)
- Other doors into the property have steps up to them.
- Registered Assistance Dogs are very welcome at no charge
- Main Entrance and Reception
- There are several entrances to Merrymeet.
- The front door has no steps (only a weather board c 1 cm high) and can be parked directly outside. This is also one of three doors onto the stone patio.
- The second entrance is reached via two steps (step heights = 18 cm, and 24cm)
- The downstairs hall floor is of textured stone flags – bedrooms and bathrooms off this hallway have a slight lip to them
- There is a door to the rear garden with weatherboard lip of 2cm; beyond this door is a stone patio.
- There are no lifts
- There are no public phones, but mobile reception is available on all networks (although sometimes you have to move around the property to optimise reception)
- Lighting varies by room. Most rooms have central pendants. The kitchen is lit by spotlights.
- All exit routes, including staircases and hallways, have emergency lighting which will come on in the event of a power failure
- The staircase is wooden and has handrails. The staircase is 72cm width with turns.
- There are two steps down to the living room.
- There are three ground floor toilets.
- Both hallways are painted white
- A baby bath and child steps to reach sinks are provided
- The dining room has four doors into it – via the hallway (width 83cm), the kitchen (width 70cm) and living room (width 70cm) and to the outside (86cm wide)
- The floor is textured stone. The height of the under space of the dining table is 70cm from the floor and the table is 75cm high.
- The table is 51 inches x 94 inches
- Chairs (all moveable) there are 16 chairs with padded seats and no arms. The chairs are 43cm high
- A Hifi and CD player are provided
- This is accessed via the dining room (door 70cm wide) with two steps down both 22cm high and the step width is 59cm; or directly from outside (two doors with weather lips only and patio doors (105cm wide with 2 steps down to outside (18cm and 24cm respectively).
- Outside the living room is a stone patio area.
- Flooring is of textured stone tiles and rugs.
- Sofas and easy chairs are provided seating up to 20 guests
- Teletext TV is provided with remote control as well as DVD player
- A domestic washer and tumbler dryer are provided in the kitchen. The dryer sits above the washer. The door handle for this is 140cm high.
- They are both front loading
- An iron and ironing board is provided
- There are seven bedrooms at Merrymeet.
- Ground Floor – 1 double, 3 twins,
- First Floor – 1 double, 1 twin, 1 family (4 single beds)
- All bedrooms are carpeted
- Non feather duvets and pillows are provided in each room
- Extra blankets and pillows are available
- There is a hanging space or wardrobe, chests of drawers and mirrors in every bedroom
- White bed linen and towels are provided free of charge
- Rear Twin – door width 70cm. Two 90cm single beds with a height from the floor to top of mattress of 60cm . Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 2m. There is a wet room ensuite to this bedroom (door width 85cm)
- Front Twin – door width 70cm. Two 90cm single beds, with a height from the floor to top of mattress of 60cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 1.40cm. There is a door to the outside from this bedroom – door width 85cm
- Double – door width 70cm. The double bed height from floor to top of mattress is 60cm. Largest transfer space to left hand side of bed is 1m90cm. Largest transfer space side of bed is 50cm.
- End Twin – One door leading into this room (from main hallway –70cm width)… There are two 90cm single beds, with a height to top of mattress of 60cm. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 1m5cm
- The fire brigade suggest that anyone with a hearing or visual impairment doesn’t sleep in higher bedrooms to ensure speed of escape if necessary.
- Red Twin – door width 70cm. Two single beds; height from floor to top of mattress 60cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 2m. There is a door to the outside (width 75cm) with 4 steps outside down to rear of Merrymeet (each c 20cm deep).
- Red Double – door width 70cm. One double bed; height from floor to top of mattress is 60cm. Largest transfer space to side of bed is 1m50cm (to half way up bed)
- A door off hallway leads to a Family Room – door width 85cm. There are four 90cm single beds; the height to the top of mattress is 60cm. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 3m.
- There are 3 bathrooms on the ground floor and 2 bathrooms on the first floor
- The first floor bathrooms both have showers over baths, toilets and WC. One is ensuite to both the family quad bedroom (door width of 70cm). The bath in this room has a height of 54cm. The basin is 84cm high. The floor is a non slip surface. There is good colour contrast between walls, and floor.
- The second bathroom is shared by the other two first floor bedrooms (door width 70cm). It has a bath 55 cm high and a basin 83cm high. There is good colour contrast between fittings and floor. The floor has a non slip surface.
- There are three bathrooms on the ground floor
- The first bathroom is ensuite to the twin bedroom. This is a wet room with no raised shower tray. The shower has two slider rails at different heights and a plastic shower stool can be provided (please book before arrival). The free space under the shower is 1.96m x 1.9m (Total room measurements are 3.56m x 1.87m). The basin is 82cm high and toilet (42cm high) and tiled flooring. There is colour contrast between walls, and floor. Door width 70cm.
- The second bathroom is with basin (80cm high), toilet (46cm high) and bath (53cm high). There is a curved corner shower cubicle (access width 43cm and step up 25cm). The floor is tiled and there is good colour contrast between fittings and floor.
- A third shower room (door width 72cm) with basin (80cm high), and toilet. The floor is tiled and there is good colour contrast between walls, fittings and floor.
- The kitchen has two entrance doors from the dining room (70cm wide) and outside (80cm wide). There are two steps down to the outside (20cm and 23cm respectively) to a stone floor.
- The floor is quarry tiles. There is a good colour contrast between walls, floors, and other surfaces
- The fitted units have black granite work surfaces (worktop height is 91cm)
- There is plenty of china, cutlery and glassware for all guests
- A fridge/freezer is provided which can be used to store medication (highest shelf in fridge is 1m45cm and the lowest drawer in freezer is 40cm)
- The kitchen contains a washer, tumble dryer, two double ovens and hobs, and a microwave and 6 slot Dualitt toaster. There are two electric kettles.
- There is no shop available on site
- The nearest shopping centre is Leek, with four supermarkets, Boots, WH Smith and most other requirements catered for.
- There is a limited mobility scheme – see Pre Arrival section
- Leisure Facilities
- There is a games room with table tennis.
- The games room is accessed from a large outside door (with no steps up to it) or via the a short stair case of 5 steps 70cm wide through a door (70 cm wide) from the first floor hallway.
- Outdoor Facilities
- There is a large stone patio outside which can be accessed without using steps
- There are three acres of sloping fields
- Chairs, BBQ and tables are available
- Additional Information
- The house has fire alarms throughout
- There emergency lighting on all exit routes and stairwells
- There are fire extinguishers on all landing and in kitchens
- There is strictly a no smoking, no fireworks, no night sky lanterns and no candle policy. You may smoke in the garden. Three are sand pots provided for used cigarette ends
- There are comprehensive information folders provided in the property
- Mobile phone reception is ok
- Please note that the layout may be subject to change
Merrymeet for 16 guestsBack O'th Brook, Waterhouses, Staffordshire, ST10 3JA
Closest Train Station :
Stoke on Trent 17 Miles (West Coast Mainline), Derby 22 East Coast Mainline
Closest Airport :
Manchester Airport 16 miles, East Midlands Airport 42 miles, Birmingham Airport 63 miles
Nearby Town :
Ashbourne 8 miles, Leek 8 miles
Nearby Shop :
In Waterfall c 1 mile
Nearby Eatery :
Red Lion Inn - Pub less than ½ mile at Waterfall. Further pubs in Waterhouses c 1 mile. Selection of restaurants in Ashbourne c 8 miles
A Short History of Merrymeet and Back O’th Brooks
Merrymeet is situated in the little hamlet of Back O’th Brook.
Back o’th Brook is situated to the north of Waterfall – a very small collection of houses running along the side of the Bredon Brook. The Bredon Brook runs down the valley and into the River Manifold.
Back of the Brook is not mentioned in the Doomsday Book, but Waterfall was mentioned in the Burton Abbey records when Waterfall Church held a service of thanksgiving for land given to the Abbey in 1126. The Brook at Waterfall was in the tax papers of Edward III in1333.
As was the way in those days, the lands belonged to rich families and changed hands as their fortunes rose and fell according to their relationship to the King and other nobles. In 1310 William de Wrottesley became a Knight having paid £20 to the King. Sir William was killed fighting Robert Bruce in Scotland. His son Hugh was only a lad at the time, but when he grew up he followed his farther by fighting for his country – this time in France. Fortunately he survived, so inherited much of his father’s land around Waterfall. He got even richer as many of his relations died of the Black Death and he inherited their land too. By 1354 he had fallen out with the King as h