Home / Planning Your Visit / All Welcome / Toft Hall Access /
Access Statement for Toft Hall
This large self catering house is a Jacobean Hall built in the late 1500s. As a listed building Toft Hall has interesting architectural features including some very low doorways and uneven floors. Whilst we aim to welcome all guests there are some period features that might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. Other Party Houses have specially designed features which are suitable for the less mobile.
· Lots of information is held on partyhouses.co.uk
· Bookings can be made by calling 01260 226609
· We can offer the use of a Deaf Guard system for guests who are hard of hearing and unlikely to hear the fire alarm system.
· This is placed under your pillow at night and will vibrate and lights flash should the fire alarms go off. Please let us know before arrival if you wish to borrow the Deaf Guard.
· A telescopic ramp can be provided - please book in advance. It is a 7 foot twin ramp, overall width 260mm (each), useable width (internal each) 200mm, load maximum 230 kgs with a 65mm edge. They are made of strong aluminium with a black non slip covering suitable for heavy wheelchairs and scooters.
· Hire of additional mobility equipment can be arranged through Moorland Mobility (who will also deliver and collect). Please call Malcolm on 01538 381515 (closed Sundays) or visit moorlandmobility.co.uk. Alternatively the local Red Cross also have some equipment for loan free of charge.
· Please note that 4 of the 10 bedrooms are on the second floor and have very low doorways (c 4 feet high). These are not suitable for the elderly or infirm or those just not wishing to bend down (who of course are very welcome in the 6 first floor bedrooms). Once inside these top bedrooms the ceiling heights are tall!
· In Leek there are accessible toilets (on RADAR key schemes) in Silk Street, Leek Bus Station and in the council offices at Moorlands House off Stockwell Street
· There is a Shop Mobility Scheme at The Potteries Shopping Centre in Hanley, Stoke on Trent and also in Macclesfield
· The nearest train station is Stoke on Trent (London Euston c 1hour 35 minutes)
· Alternatively travel to Macclesfield Station and catch the bus from Macclesfield to Ashbourne which stops in Rushton Spencer (c 2 miles)
· Arrival and Car Parking Facilities
· To ensure that your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not arrive before 3.30pm. earlier arrival my be possible by prior arrangement
· There is plenty of free parking outside the Hall on the gravel driveway which slopes gently
· Cars can be parked immediately outside the second front door, with plenty of room for access to the vehicle
· The driveway to the front of the property is an unadopted drive and can be bumpy but it is large enough for coaches and minibuses to use and turn around in front of the Hall
· There is outside lighting as night which lights up on sensitivity of movement
· The pathway to the main front door has three steps 15cm, 17cm and 10 cm high
· The second front door has no step (just the weather lip c 1cm)
· Main Entrance and Reception
· There are two front entrances to Toft Hall
· The main entrance is reached via three steps up a short path (step heights = 15 cm, 17cm and 10cm)
· The second front door has no steps (only a weather board c 1 cm high) and can be parked directly outside
· Inside the front door entrance (door width 90cm) there are corridors (minimum width 90cm) leading to downstairs toilet, music room, snug and dining room. The main stair case rises opposite the front door (staircase width 62cm)
· The entrance hall floor is of old stone flags
· There is a door to the rear garden with weatherboard lip of c 2cm, beyond this door is a stone patio.
· There are no lifts
· There are no public phones, but mobile reception is available on all networks (although sometimes you have to move around the property to optimise reception)
· Lighting varies by room. Most rooms have central pendants; the dining room and music room have wall lights only. The kitchen is lit by spotlights.
· All exit routes, including staircases and hallways, have emergency lighting which is either on all the time (staircases) or will come on in the event of a power failure
· The two staircases are both carpeted and have handrails. The main staircase is 62cm width with turns. The secondary staircase (to the first floor only) is a straight rise and 75cm wide (with an ground floor access fire door of 70cm wide)
· There is a step down to two twin bedrooms on the first floor and a step between this corridor and the quad bedroom (the other entrance to the quad bedroom has no steps)
· There is one small ground floor toilet
· Both hallways are painted yellow
· A baby bath and child steps to reach sinks are provided
· The downstairs toilet has limited space and measures 43cm high to the seat
· The basin is small and 90cm high with separate hot and cold water taps
· The door opens onto the corridor
· The dining room has three doors into it via the hallway (width 80cm), the kitchen (width 72cm) and living room (width 82cm
· The floor is wooden parquet. The dining table measures 3m67cm x 2m16cm. The height of the under space of the table is 75cm from the floor and the table is 77cm high.
· There is limited space behind the table on two sides
· Chairs (all moveable) there are 20 chairs with leather seats and no arms. The chairs are 48cm high
This is accessed via the dining room (door 82cm wide) or kitchen (door 87 cm wide)
· This is accessed via the main hallway (door 80cm wide)
· The Music Room has an oak wooden floor with rugs
· Sofas and easy chairs are provided which are moveable for up to x guests
· A Hifi and CD player are provided
· The Snug is accessed via the main hallway (door 80cm wide)
· It has short pile carpet and has easily moveable low easy chairs with no arms (height)
· There is an Xbox with controllers and games
· A domestic washer/dryer is provided in both kitchens
· They are both front loading
· An iron and ironing board is provided
· There are ten bedrooms at Toft Hall
· First Floor 1 double, 1twin, 1 twin, 1 family, 1 single, 1 double
· Second Floor 1 double, 1 double, 1 twin through to 1 family (NB these are the bedrooms with very low doorways)
· All bedrooms are carpeted
· Non feather duvets and pillows are provided in each room
· Extra blankets and pillows are available
· There is a hanging space or wardrobe, chests of drawers and mirrors in every bedroom
· White bed linen and towels are provided free of charge
· Cottage Twin door width 70cm. Two 90cm single beds with a height from the floor to top of mattress of 53cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 1m. There is a step down into this room of 15cm depth
· Cottage Twin door width 70cm. Two 90cm single beds, with a height from the floor to top of mattress of 65cm. Largest transfer space to the left side of bed is 60cm. The largest transfer space to the right hand side of bed is 90cm There is a step down into this room of 15cm depth
· Wattle & Daub Double door width 75cm. The double bed height from floor to top of mattress low at 45cm . Largest transfer space to left hand side of bed is 1m90cm. Largest transfer space to right hand side of bed is 40cm.
· Family Room two doors leading into this room (one from main hallway 80cm width, and one from second landing door width 66cm there is a small step up and down into the room from this entrance - 6cm high). There are four 90cm single beds, two have a height to top of mattress 58cm and the other two of 63cm. One of the beds is a spare, and kept under another bed, but lifts to the same height as the other bed when in use. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 2m20cm
· Single door width 77cm from main staircase landing. There is one 90cm single bed; height to top of mattress is 48cm. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 2m10cm. This bedroom has an ensuite bathroom shared with the Four poster double bedroom
· Four Poster Double - door width 80cm from main staircase landing. There is one 1m37cm double bed; this is a high bed with the height to top of mattress of 70cm. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 1m40cm. This room has an ensuite off it shared with the single bedroom
· These bedrooms are not suitable for anyone with mobility difficulties, as they are on the second floor and have very low doorways to enter. The fire brigade also suggest that anyone with a hearing or visual impairment also doesnt sleep in higher bedrooms to ensure speed of escape if necessary. Some of the room in these bedrooms is under the eaves, but the beds are central and allow full standing next to them.
· Blue Double - door width 70cm, height 1m18cm high. One double bed; height from floor to top of mattress 62cm. Largest transfer space to the side of bed is 65cm.
· Purple Double - door width 70cm, height 1m18cm. One double bed; height from floor to top of mattress is 55cm. Largest transfer space to the left hand side of bed is 60cm. The largest transfer space to the right hand side of bed is 60cm.
· Twin - door width 75cm, height 1m22cm. Two single beds, height from the floor to the top of mattress is 55cm. The largest transfer space to the side of bed is 1m10cm. This room has an en-suite bathroom
· A door off the twin room leads to a Family Room door width 85cm, height 1m27cm. There are four 90cm single beds; the height to the top of mattress is 62cm. One of the beds is a spare and kept under another bed, but lifts to the same height as the other beds when in use. The largest transfer space to the side of a bed is 1m30cm. This room has an ensuite bathroom
· There are 2 bathrooms on the first floor and three bathrooms on the second floor
· The first floor bathrooms both have showers over baths, toilets and WC. One is ensuite to both the single and four poster double bedrooms (door widths of 80cm and 72cm respectively). The bath in this room is a double ended roll top, with a height of 56cm. The basin is 80cm high. The floor is tiled. There is good colour contrast between walls, and floor.
· The second bathroom is shared by the other first floor bedrooms (door width 73cm). It has a bath 59 cm high and a basin 77cm high. There is good colour contrast between fittings and floor
· There are three bathrooms on the second floor
· The first bathroom is shared by the two double bedrooms. This bathroom has a sitz bath (a short high bath 70cm high, with a seating lip) with a basin 80cm high and toilet and short pile carpet flooring. There is good colour contrast between walls, fittings and floor. Door width 70cm.
· The twin bedroom has an ensuite bathroom with basin (84cm high), toilet and bath (67cm high). The floor is short pile carpet and there is good colour contrast between fittings and floor.
· The family room also has an ensuite bathroom (door width 72cm) with basin (85cm high), toilet and bath (55cm high). The floor is short pile and there is good colour contrast between walls, fittings and floor.
· The kitchen has three entrance doors from the dining room (70cm wide), living room (89 wide) and second kitchen (73cm wide)
· The floor is quarry tiles. There is a good colour contrast between walls, floors, cupboards and other surfaces
· The fitted units are made by Smallbone and have granite work surfaces (worktop height is 92cm)
· There is plenty of china, cutlery and glassware for all guests
· A large American fridge/freezer is provided which can be used to store medication (highest shelf in fridge is 1m45cm and the lowest drawer in freezer is 35cm)
· The kitchen contains a washer/dryer, double oven and hob, and microwave
· There is a second small kitchen at Toft Hall, which also contains a washer/dryer, double oven and hob, fridge, freezer and microwave (worktop height is 90cm)
· There is no shop available on site
· The nearest shopping centre is Leek, with four supermarkets, Boots, WH Smith and most other requirements catered for.
· There is a limited mobility scheme see Pre Arrival section
· There is a games room with table tennis, table football and air hockey tables. The entrance is on a slight slope (door width 55cm)
· The garden has gravel paths and some steps to some sections. It slopes on a slight hill. There are two rear doors from the property into the garden, neither of which involve steps but they do have weather board strips of c 1 cm on each door base
· There is a patio outside which can be accessed without using steps
· The garden is mature, with flowers, lawn, herb garden and pond (which is fenced off)
· All guests are welcome to use the garden
· Sun loungers, chairs and tables are available
· The house has fire alarms throughout
· There emergency lighting on all exit routes and stairwells
· There are fire extinguishers on all landing and in kitchens
· There is strictly a no smoking, no fireworks or sky night lanterns and no candle policy. You may smoke in the garden. Three are sand pots provided for used cigarette ends
· There are comprehensive information folders provided in the property
· Mobile phone reception is ok
· Please note that the layout may be subject to change
Enjoy the beautiful Peak District National Park in the heart of England - so much to see and do!Welcome »
Celebrate splendidly whatever the occasion: birthdays, hen/stag parties, reunions, anniversaries, etcWelcome »
Exclusive use venues for your team at great value prices!Welcome »